I believe the dust has settled and the talks about the games are long gone now and everyone is turning their eyes to the open. Several people have asked me to create a piece of content detailing my thoughts about the new games format this year, and this Is it, so here we go:
I believe the new format is not perfect yet, however it's a great step in the right direction. In my humble opinion, here's what's good and bad regarding the new format. Lets start with the good:
1. The new format is great, we got to see a very well rounded games that tested pretty much all aspects of fitness. Strength, speed, skills, agility, stamina, endurance, Strength Endurance, and power. It was all there!
2. The cuts are added the pressure element and exposed the gaps. If you weren't good enough and specifically under pressure, you were simply cut out.
3. The scoring and cuts gave us confirmation on who the best athletes truly are. They haven't changed, Tia and Matt defended their titles and managed to destroy their competition regardless of the scoring or the challenges thrown at them.
1. Games rookies and national champions didn't get to participate for that long, most of them were cut after the first workout. Although that's not a scoring problem, it has to do with how good they are. However, HQ is solving the issue in the upcoming games by giving 3 workouts before the first round of cuts.
2. The order of the events played a big role in who advanced to the finals. The sprint event specifically was the one that produced a lot of debate since only 10 athletes advanced after it and we saw some of the big names being cut out. It is probably true that if that specific test was the clean event for example, we would have seen a completely different outcome.
I believe the new scoring system and the new games and sanctionals is a step in the right direction. This move It will allow help the sport grow and allow for more opportunities for athletes around the world to participate and compete. As any new system, it has its gaps but it seems that HQ are on top of them and is paying attention to the feed-back and I'm sure they will fix these in no time.